Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

The Ebb in our Flow

"Feelings are much like waves, we can't stop them from coming, but we can choose which one to surf." -Jonatan Martensson (as quoted by Joyce Meyer in her book, Living Beyond Your Feelings)

Well.  We got our answer regarding your friend.  Swiftly, I might add.  Shortly after writing you, I really felt it would be a kind gesture to message "I" and encourage her.  After all, you love her and have been concerned for her…maybe she would benefit from learning that our family surrounds her in prayer, too…and you would benefit from knowing that whoever is important to you is equally as important to us.  

I was right and wrong.

"I" was undoubtedly grateful for the extension of care, but you DEFINITELY were not!  I instantly regretted my decision upon reading your messages to me yesterday.  You were deeply hurt and responding venomously.  It seemed everything we had built up to this point was instantly shattered.  Initially, I was flabbergasted.  How could you assume that my writing your friend and simply expressing that we are praying for God to take care of her means that I like her better than you…that we're going to change our minds "on the fly" and choose her instead, and that we would be far better off because she is so much more like me than you?!  

Thank God for the written word.  For once, I praised Him for the oceans between us.  I was able to take a step back in my perspective and see the glimmer of a dynamic we will undoubtedly experience together once you've come home.  These were not the rational words of a healthy child.  These were the words of a hurting child.  A precious little girl who has suffered so much loss and rejection; so much back and forth that she's incapable of trusting all the good that Jesus is pouring out for her.  

Know this, Sweet Daughter: absolutely nothing will separate you from His love (Romans 8:38-39).  Nor ours.  You may feel hard-pressed on every side, but you won't be crushed; you might feel persecuted, but God promises that you will not be abandoned; you likely feel struck down, but He will not allow you to be destroyed (2 Co. 4:8-12).  Yes, you belong to us.  But more importantly, you belong to Him.  And He is not letting go.  We're praying that we all choose His truth over our feelings!!  

Love you!!