Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Since you've been gone

     Since you’ve been gone, investigations of our family went from just CPS to Police (for your allegation that we bribed them), and eventually to the Department of Homeland Security for allegations that we forced you to work to pay back every penny of your adoption and to provide your own groceries because we only fed you scraps like a dog, if at all, from our table. 
Oh.  And your household name was “Prostitute”.  ?!
Just when our souls would settle from one accusation, another would manifest.  It’s been a few weeks since we received the “All Clear”, but this time my soul can’t seem to find rest.  Who’s going to knock on our door next? Interpol?!
     So many fears and thoughts consume me.  The “What if’s”: What if we had just approached our relationship with you as mentors rather than parents from the beginning…would that have made a difference?  Would you still be safe at home?  What if we had found a licensed professional counselor for you sooner, regardless of their experience with situations like yours or the language barrier…would you be better off?  Would we be better off, as all of your past behaviors and issues would have been legally documented and this whole mess wouldn’t be viewed as simply our word against yours?  Would the counselor you’re seeing now have a better view of the whole picture?  What if you’re mistaking our decision to step back and allow you over to your will for a time as though we never cared and that we’re not invested; that we’re just another family that’s given up on you?  What if I do try reaching out to you in person and you use the opportunity to hurt us more?
     Then there’s the “It’s not fair’s”:  It’s not fair that you lied to so many government authorities and suffered no consequence for such serious actions.  It’s not fair that the shelter has been making all of the calls to us on your behalf when something comes up that you need that only we can provide…you’ve had to take no personal responsibility nor experience the discomfort of resolving conflict left in your wake.  You haven’t yet felt the mere discomfort of living independently and without our assistance on even a basic needs level, so how will you ever come to realize just how much we did do for you?  It’s not fair.  It’s not fair that you’ve been given the freedom that you so badly wanted but weren’t quite ready for—the freedom to partake in everything that distracts you from the better future God was trying to bring you into.  It’s not fair that you’re having fun shopping at the mall and going to the zoo and spending at least one day every week with the very woman who deemed our family “evil” from the moment she met us (? so she reported to the police) and spoke with so much hostility to your dad, legally claiming harassment when we simply tried reaching her to see if she had heard from you when you ran away this time.  Why her?  Why does she get to have this relationship with you and not us? What makes her more trustworthy? What has she done for you to prove her love and commitment that can ever compare to the sacrifices we’ve made for you and would continue to? 
     To the outside world, I appear as though I’m moving forward with life.  But clearly, I’ve done anything but.  If your goal was to deeply wound us, you succeeded with me.  You have moved on and I’ve been paralyzed. Praise Jesus He hasn’t given up on me; He’s been staying behind with me, gently urging me to let go, to trust Him, and to heal:

“A person’s fear sets a trap for him, but one who trusts in the LORD is safe.  Many seek an audience with a ruler, but justice for humanity comes from the LORD.” –Proverbs 29:25-26

“Let’s return to the LORD.  Even though He has torn us to pieces, He will heal us.  Even though He has wounded us, He will bandage our wounds. …Let’s learn about the LORD.  Let’s get to know the LORD. He will come to us as sure as the morning comes.  He will come to us like the autumn rains and the spring rains that water the ground.” –Hosea 6:1-3

He’s been assuring me that nothing that’s happened in my heart, yours, or those involved with you is getting past Him:

“Do not envy sinners in your heart.  Instead, continue to fear the LORD.  There is indeed a future, and your hope will never be cut off.” –Proverbs 23:17-18

“Do not envy evil people or wish you were with them, because their minds plot violence, and their lips talk trouble.” –Proverbs 24:1-2

“Do not be happy when your enemy falls, and do not feel glad when he stumbles.  The LORD will see it, He won’t like it, and He will turn His anger away from that person.” –Proverbs 24:17-18

“Even if they escape without being destroyed, Egypt will capture them and Memphis will bury them.  Weeds will grow over their silver treasures.  Thorns will grow over their tents.  The time for them to be punished will come.  The time for them to pay for their sins will come.  When this happens, Israel will know it.  They think that prophets are fools and that spiritual people are crazy.  They have sinned a lot, and they are very hostile. …People have deeply corrupted themselves…God will remember their wickedness and punish them because of their sins.”
-Hosea 9:6-9

He’s been humbling me, guiding me to the recognition that my frustration with the way things have panned out is an indication of arrogance and pride in my own heart.  He loves you and is chasing after you, Lucy, of course.  He’ll never stop.  But I see now that He’s been pursuing me as well, utilizing every nuance of this mess to answer my prayers for healing for myself--from an addiction to approval and to be shaped into a force for Him to be reckoned with.  My character has never been questioned as much…our family’s reputation never under so great an attack.  But not all for naught.  I see now how all of this has served to expose those most vulnerable parts of myself, pressuring my Spirit just enough to writhe under it and grow, but never crushing it. 

“Israel, your arrogance testifies against you, but even after all this, you don’t turn to the LORD your God or look to Him for help.”-Hosea 7:10

“My servant Peter was not changed in a flash from a simple fisherman to a great leader and teacher, but through the very time of faithlessness—through the very time of denial—I was yet making him all that He should be. …Peter could never have been the after power he was, had he not learned his weakness.” –God Calling; April 4th

Now that I’m able to focus on the state of my own heart and less on yours, I got real with myself.  Who the heck am I to determine what would grab your attention and best help you?  He is GOD after all!!  Only He knows the innermost workings of both of our hearts, and every heart surrounding us, and only He can work most effectively to harmonize them.  But I’ve had the audacity to believe lame I can make a difference somehow?!  Embarrassing.  He’s got this.  Truly.  I need to stop saying with my actions, “I believe God!  Help me with my unbelief!” and start shouting a simple, “I believe!”.  I need to take His permission to move on and let my soul rest in Him.

“I am all-powerful and all-knowing and I have all your affairs in My Hands.  Divine efficiency as well as Divine power is being brought to bear on them.  All miracle-work is not the work of a moment as so often men imagine.”

“Rest in Me.  Seek this evening time just to be with Me.  Do not feel you have failed if sometimes I ask you only to rest together in My Presence.  I am with you, much with you both, not only at these times, at all times.  Feel conscious of My Presence.  Earth has no greater joy than that.  I am the heart’s great Interpreter.  Even souls who are the nearest together have much in their natures that remain a sealed book to each other, and only as I enter and control their lives, do I reveal to each the mysteries of the other.  Each soul is different—I alone understand perfectly the language of each, and I can interpret between the two. ‘Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee.’ Psalm 116:7.”

I’ve spent so much thinking on the “What ifs” and the “It’s not fairs” that I’ve single-handedly shrouded all that He has delivered us from and how greatly He has blessed us.  In a sense, I’ve done to Him exactly what you’ve done to us, focusing on all that we didn’t get and that He’s kept us from instead of all that He gave and protected us from!! I’ve missed out on so many opportunities to praise Him and show gratitude instead of attitude. Oh, the irony.
No mas. 
Because of this situation, Dad, Josh, Isaac, and I are so blessed, really; not cursed like I so often joke!  All of it…the hurt, the fear, the regrets, the grief, the envy…every moment served as a blazing furnace of answered prayers testing and refining our faith.  And even though Jesus answered in the most unexpected ways, He’s clearly been standing beside us this entire time.  It’s no longer secondhand knowledge.  Each of us now intimately know God as our Provider, our Strong Deliverer, the Great I Am, Mighty Warrior, King of Kings, Comforter, Bringer of Peace, and so much more.  We have been given this great privilege of experiencing firsthand all of these incredible sides of Him because of your choices, regardless of motive <3  Again, nothing. Is. Wasted. I surrender my fear and celebrate instead.  He’s not finished.  It’s not over yet.  And that’s totally ok.  I’m moving forward again :)  And I might just get to know even more of our Lord <3  And you just might, too, I pray.  In Jesus’ Name <3

“A righteous person may fall seven times, but he gets up again.” –Proverbs 24:16


;)